Sunday, November 28, 2010

A China Hutch Makeover

WOW!  What a busy weekend we have had.  SOO WONDERFUL, but a bit tiring.  So thankful for all my blessings and the precious time with family and friends.  Today, I am busy getting the house ready for Christmas but I wanted to share with you the makeover I did on my Dining Room china hutch.  It is something I wanted to do for A LONG LONG TIME ( really since we moved in).  I decided Thanksgiving was my deadline since we host here so my husband and I worked diligently for a week to get it done.  I am excited how it turned out!

First here is the before:


We bought our furniture about 10 years ago and I loved it in my old house but the walls in this room just did not look right with that China Hutch.  I am an avid follower and lover of  THRIFTY DECOR CHICK
A few months ago I paid for an email consultation with her and I asked her for help with my dining room.  She said I should paint the hutch. I knew she was going too. SIGH!  Well months went by and I did not do it. I WAS TERRIFIED!  I just knew we would ruin that hutch!  Well I then found DECORCHICK! and this post .  She had just finished re-doing a hutch.  I made a mental note to refer back to her site when ready and I began following her.  About a month ago she posted about a tutorial e-book on refinishing furniture.  It was only 10 dollars so I bought it.  It gave me the confidence I needed to to do it! It took us about 5 days total working a few hours each night. We followed the steps in the book and the results are JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!






 I am seriously in LOVE WITH IT!  My dishes look so much better!  You might notice we did away with the mirrors.  I lined those mirrors with paintable wallpaper that looks like beadboard and painted it too! Another idea from DECORCHICK!  It We did some sanding to antique it after painting and then glazed it.  You will need to click on pictures to enlarge and see detail.  The color is ESPRESSO by BEHR.  I followed all the steps and used all the products from the tutorial.  We spent about 100 dollars at home Depot to do it but we bought WAY TOO MUCH PAINT!  We bought a gallon of paint and glaze and could have easily gotten by with a quart. so..it was very affordable!   We got so manyy compliments on Thanksgiving!  I am ecstatic.  I want to do the chairs now! AND best of all I have the confidence to do it!  AWESOME!



No comments: